Monday 24 August 2009

Vintage Finds

Summer returned today.

While A was at nursery N & I visited our nearby big town. There are several good charity shops there that I like to visit fairly regularly and today we had quite a fruitful trip.


A hand-knitted teacosy and an embroidered placemat. The teacosy made a rather fetching hat for N when we got home (though it is to be used for the teapot - we're not that cruel!). I'm not sure what I'll do with the mat, however it's pretty and was only 49p.


I then got a fantastic tablecloth for £2. It's beatifully embroidered with orange toned flowers.

It needs a clean and an iron but will look smashing on my round garden table whenever I have some civilized company round for outdoor entertaining (ha, we can dream!)


I actually bought these lovely little brass angel candle holders at the car boot sale from a couple of weeks ago but haven't got round to photographing them till now. They were just £1 for the pair and I managed to get candles to fit from good old ebay. I'll put them by for Christmas.

Selkie by Gillian McClure is a beautifully illustrated children's book that was just 50p. I've not read it yet, I just bought it based on the lovely seal pictures:






Then a trip to the poundshop...

... to stock up on some bulbs to plant soon.

We still had some time left, so we visited the abbey.

I have played in a couple of concerts here quite a few years ago now but have never visited as a tourist.

Fantastic doorway.

Just a tiny sample of the many lovely woodcarvings inside.



Beautiful stained glass.

It was a bit of a rushed visit as N was starting to get a little fed up. I'll definitely be going back again soon.

5 comments:

Pomona said...

I knitted a tea cosy to that very pattern! Love the stained glass.

Pomona x

Cathy said...

You have such an interesting blog Anne. There is so much to see and be envious about..haha. I love those angel candlesticks. What a brilliant find. I haven't been to our local car boot for a few weeks but I am going off on Sunday to see what I can find.

The embroidered tablecloth looks lovely. I just want to know whether you have a huge house with masses of storage. I could take home much more than I do because of lack of space to store it. I love the childrens' book too. I always check out the childrens' books at charity shops. Some of the illustrations are so good.

...Nina Nixon... said...

Great knitted cosy and I love the way you think though 'no' I couldn't be that cruel either.

Nina x

rockinloubylou said...

hee hee, bet he'd look adorable in it!

andamento said...

Hello and thank you all for your comments - it's really nice to know you've been visiting.

The tea cosy reminded me of the ones in the Jane Brocket book (Gentle Art of Domesticity), I know I'll never get round to knitting one myself so I was quite pleased to find one. I did put it on N when we got home, I thought he'd pull it off straight away but he didn't seem to notice he was wearing it and was crawling around the garden looking very cute. I'll try & get him to wear it again so I can post a photo.

I don't have lots of storage space, well, not as much as I'd like! I've only recently started looking in the "bits of material" sections of the charity shops so I don't have a large collection... yet! We do have quite a full house though, but that's what I think makes it a home.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails