Thursday 27 August 2009

The weather today and Fairy Tales

Our kitchen windows face west giving us a fine view of the incoming weather.

This morning we had lovely blue skies above but rain was forecast yet again. Here come the clouds!

Some random garden moments while making the most of today's sunshine:

A & N playing on the grass. The area in the foreground is is planned to be turned into more veggie patch space by next year.

Only the second ladybird I've seen this year

I don't know what this flower is, it was part of a seed mix we scattered in various places in the garden but I neglected to keep the packet.

The pebbles from our summer holiday are still on the picnic bench. When damp you can clearly see the fossils embedded in many of them.

Following on from my last post where I use other people's beautiful artwork to brighten up my blog, here are photos from another favourite illustrated book. This time it's Fairy Tales and the artist is Jane Ray.

First, some owls; these seem to be developing into a bit of an obsession for me.

Hansel & GretelSnow White

Another gorgeous book I think.

Last night, after looking at Jackie Morris' illustrations for the Barefoot Poems book I visited her Starlight Starbright blog which follows her work for her latest Barefoot book. It begins in February 2007 and I read the blog from start to finish. It was an absolutely fascinating insight into her work as an illustrator, I thoroughly recomend a look - if you've some spare time then get yourself a cuppa & cake and settle down for a great read!

As for today, it's now evening and I'm about to head out for my craft night (hmmm, new needlework cushion cover or ongoing knitted teddy project... ) the rain clouds have well and truly arrived, I may get a little wet, again.

4 comments:

Pomona said...

Funnily enough, we have had lots of ladybirds here - perhaps because it has been so dry. Still no rain! But it can hold off now for a week or two until hop-picking has finished.

Pomona x

Yiota said...

Hello there!
First visit here. I love where you live. Your children are so lucky to have this huge garden to play in.
Greetings from sunny Greece!

andamento said...

If we had just a little less rain then here would be perfect. We can never sit on the grass even in the middle of summer without getting damp bottoms!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. I hope you give the flowers a go - they're really very simple. We love Barefoot Books here too - one of our favourites is Listen, Listen as I love the illustrations - the Fairy Tales book looks gorgeous too. Beautiful pebbles - you obviously have a knack for fossil hunting! :) A lovely memento of your holiday.
x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails